Gamepedia was upgraded to MediaWiki version 1.31 on Wednesday November 14th. To learn more about the upgrade and its effects click here.
Talk:Osiris: New Dawn Official Wiki
I would like to suggest re-doing the main page once more. It feels overloaded and doesn't really give a good overview at first glance. Part of this is due to the different categories linking to similar content and/or not providing important information right away, which means as a newbie trying to find information can be a bit cumbrous (imho). So while I would like to edit the provided links I also think we should change the layout to something more clear. Since I'm not great with code I simply made an example with photoshop: https://i.imgur.com/S6kwbrx.jpg
The idea behind this layout is to give a better access to all relevant wiki content without the need to scroll down, placing less relevant content at the bottom.
The "welcome", "what is Osiris" and "features" boxes are a tiny bit smaller and we could easily compress them more. I actually think the "features" box could be integrated into the "what is Osiris" box - but if you guys want to keep it, this is how I would place them. Next are "quick basics" and "explorers guide". These two boxes should link to all important pages that can help players understand game mechanics, give them important information on content and all the features listed above. These boxes then are follows by the "catalog" and the "species" box - both of which are interesting to keep on the front page, but not as relevant, thus their suggested placement. Then, on the right side "patch notes" at the very top. I really think it should display current game build information and a short summary, linking to the actual patch notes page if someone wants to check out more details. I don't see the need to include the entire patch notes on front page, thus a smaller box as well. "In production" is also too big imho, thus I suggest to have a small box that displays one pic only but with a slide show feature so users can check out upcoming content by clicking through the images without having to access a different wiki page. There actually is quite a lot of WIP material so a slide show feature would be really cool. And below that the twitter box. I think it should have about the size to fit 2-3 tweets - anyopne who wants to check out more can simply scroll. Now, if you take a look at my suggestion, you will also see how much space we have left. So with this layout, we could add 3 more boxes if needed - or add some fancy icons to the other categories.
- Hey Gharolan, sorry I've been away from this for quite a while, but I just came to the same conclusion. As some one who's done some UI design in the past, the last thing people want is a wall of text when theyre looking for information quickly. People are very visual. I like what you did in that picture, that's already looking much better. I'm also thinking that we Improve the following:
- - Move the text from the 'Features' box into the 'What is...' box
- - Move the 'Community' box up to where'Features' was
- - Change the Survival Guide, Equipment, and Alien Species boxes to be horizontal, and all graphic like the No Man's Sky wiki (https://nomanssky.gamepedia.com/No_Man%27s_Sky_Wiki) It's much easier to find what you've come looking for then
- I like keeping the right column like you did though, that looks great. I'm going to start a test page for the re-arraignment and I'll link you in it when I'm done! Seesharpist (talk) 3:37, 8 December 2017 (UTC)
- I'll have a look at that, thank you for letting us know. :) Gharolan (talk) 19:38, 9 October 2017 (UTC)
- I will re-do the different categories, so this will be done asap. Gharolan (talk) 11:46, 21 October 2017 (UTC)
Would like to change layout of main page. 2nd section with images and links is very messy. Idea: move pics next to eachother, put links in line underneath in table. Much clearer and cleaner. Opinions? --PlayMoto
- No objections from me. Just would like to keep the big wallpaper as an image of the game on top or bottom. --Coniaric (talk) 23:56, 20 December 2016 (UTC)
- Just create a main page as your user page and link it here so we can take a look at it first, discuss changes, etc. When it is all done, we can update the main page. Gharolan (talk) 13:21, 21 December 2016 (UTC)
- done take a look at my userpage --PlayMoto
- It's ok I guess. Your solution looks a bit better, but increases the number of rows per category. Maybe we can reduce the number of links for each category? If the other authors are ok with it, you can update the main page and I'll work something out during the next two weeks. Gharolan (talk) 12:27, 22 December 2016 (UTC)
- done take a look at my userpage --PlayMoto